Monday, June 15, 2009

Time Flies...

when you've got a lot on your plate ;) That's how I think this phrase should be stated. So, I'm on here because its been three months; and MamaRaz expects a post. She told me so at NEACUHO and so I must oblige her. And honestly, blogging is often cathartic.

So, its been three months and life has been a bit crazy. I wrapped up the end of the year...which is always crazy, I packed an entire office building and moved, and I chaired the host committee of an annual conference for a regional professional organization for my field. This last experience was amazing and exhausting; and I learned a few things about myself and others.

So, chairing this conference started over a year and a half ago, when I went forward to my interim CHO and asked her if we could submit a bid. Just starting with the bid process it was a challenging experience; putting myself out there in ways I'm not comfortable with, deciding to chair by myself (the pros and cons of this do exist I found out :)), drafting a budget, convincing others to come along on this journey; it was all a challenge. I remember like it was just last week, being in the central office putting together the bid packets to make it in the mail. Now its done. I did it and now I wonder where to go from here...once I disappear for a year ;) After I found out that we were selected to host, things kind of died down again, until about 3 weeks before NEACUHO 2008, then I got panicked about a DVD, giveaways, a speech, etc, etc. That year's conference seems like a blur. It was at a past institution I worked at, which was probably a good thing because I knew where I was going and it was just one less thing to worry about. Really, this cycle kept repeating itself.

I don't know if I was well-prepared having served on two prior host committees, or if my fellow board members were confident in our hosting because 4 of us were on the e-board or what; but things seemed calm, with the exception of the entire economic impact. That got a bit hairy there for awhile. The interesting part of that is that it forced me to say no; something I don't like to do.
The other thing I realized is that I'm not comfortable with really intense attention all on me :) I kind of suspected this; being that at both my bridal and baby showers, I was kind of uncomfortable, but I'm also pretty outgoing and friendly. I don't mind presenting and serving in a leadership role. Something about this chairing experience was different; so much of the attention; good and bad was on me. A lot of people felt the need to come to me about every little question. They also felt the need to congratulate and thank me; lots, especially after they had been drinking, and especially with kisses. Now, I'm pretty comfortable with affection, but even for me this was weird; especially with all the people I didn't know well doing it. But somehow I managed and I think in the end provided a really solid conference experience for the members. What people said, that I really agreed with, was that the "spirit" of NEACUHO seemed back; the way I felt after my first few years in the organization; the fun, the caring and comfortable feeling and I'm glad I helped provide this. I hope it continues next year.

Then there was all the weirdness after the fact; the sudden interest by those higher up than me in reviewing it and addressing issues with newer professionals on the committee that I was frustrated with for not pitching in more, the exhaustion, the resuming of everything else immediately with no time to re-energize, and yes, the let down. While it was exhausting in one way, and the attention was awkward at times for me, suddenly I wonder, what's my role now? So I joined two committees that will be a new challenge for me. I think I'm looking forward to that; to not being "in charge" :) but it will also be kind of an adjustment.

As NEACUHO was happening, the end of the school year for the kids was occurring and juggling was becoming even more intense; Autumn's wrap up of the soccer season, wrapping out Girl Scouts in which I'm a leader, chaperoning Autumn's field trips, Abbie's end of the year parties, etc, etc. Suddenly, I find myself immediately in back to back meetings again at work, alternating with days off as I adjust into the girls summer schedule and camps. Now vacation starts on Sunday and I haven't done anything; planned, packed, made my lists, and such. I'm trying to go with it, but man...time flies :)

No comments: