Monday, June 22, 2009

Time to Click and Stick?

to go go go?

I often wonder this. I think this came to light for me recently while chairing a professional conference. I've spoken about this before; my thoughts on millennial professionals. I am utterly amazed at the limits on their work ethic. Now, I know not all of them are like this, but a number are. When I challenged a millennial staff member recently on their lack of initiative beyond the immediate scope of their responsibility, they told me that unless the work directly impacts them or their direct scope, they simply don't see the value. Then there was this experience chairing the conference. I've always had the professional disposition to pitch in wherever and whenever needed to help the team. I don't see this as much in the current generation. I certainly didn't see much of it at this conference. Many seemed to have the attitude; if it wasn't specifically spelled out in what I agreed to take on, forget about it. Which makes me wonder, if I didn't set up tables, break down chairs, attend as much as possible, as host chair, what would have happened My faculty colleague also commented on this today. He recently took several recent graduates to a major conference because they won a design project. At this conference, the students were being encouraged left and right to apply for management positions and they just didn't get it. He went on to say that they have just had their hands held and don't get, having to go out there and do what needs to be done, even in this economy. I think what was the most frustrating about this conference experience, is that it was professionals I expected more of, both personally and professionally. This then lends me to this strive and drive issue.

I can't seem to just be idle in any aspect of my life. At work I constantly have to be innovative, agree to support the team, etc. I've even TRIED to keep my mouth shut, let others take the lead and I cannot do it. I do this in my personal life too. I always want to do projects, join causes, etc in my girls' schools, at church and all. Now, this is the kicker, I can do this in everything, BUT my weight and health. I cannot seem to give this my all; probably because of the above and like the movie; "somethings got to give". Why is this it? Why can't I put my health ahead of everything and have this drive to always do for it? I know part of this is a female thing, but all of it? Certainly not! There are tons of women out there who maintain good health. I was doing so well two years ago; I had begun running (okay, waddling) and lost 35 pounds. I've gained it all back and some and I just wonder, when is it going to click? When will my insane work ethic and drive kick in for me personally? and the even bigger question, why can't I LOVE vegetables, fruit and exercise? WHY OH WHY?! Okay, this is getting scattered and random so I shall close up, but I'm feeling its time to begin anew; to, use a phrase from my last health success, click and stick.

No comments: